The Mystery of Zanderfell Chickenglibbers
Veit finds and studies alchemy under Sage Bundlebark. The sage was reluctant to teach him magic, even though he was a friend of Garl’s, until he learned a thing or two about alchemy.
He racks up a debt with Pand Roundnose and meets a halfling rogue who had done the same, Iendelle Greenbottle. Pand has agreed to settle their debts by having the two run errands for him throughout the town.
The two new companions set about running the errands. First, they removed a rat from Poundnose’s cellar by getting the rat drunk, then they carried the rat in two burlap sacks to the woods, where they were admonished by Nola, the druid who helps the march wardens defend the hin town. Nola agreed to assist the two on Pand’s next “assignment”, she was to keep an eye out for Dunberry Roundnose’s missing sheep in case they wandered into the Lluirwood. The two then went to look for the Nephew of Pand Roundnose, Dunberry.
- The two talked to Dunberry Roundnose, the teenage sheepherder.
- Dunberry had sold the missing sheep to an older halfling without his parents permission. He kept this a secret until the adventurers found evidence to prove that he was lying.
- Folk in the Tumbling Troll Tavern mentioned seeing an herb salesman who matched the description of the older halfling who purchased sheep from Dunberry. The “herb salesman” who called himself “Chirp” seemed very interested in the local sages Sage Tesnan Bundlebark and Hermit Sage Zanderfell Chickenglibbers.
- The Roundnose’s missing sheep were raised from the dead and sent to attack the town by an unknown adversary.
- Zanderfell Chickenglibbers, a local hermit sage was found murdered in his out of the way farmhouse to the southwest of Crimel.
- Nola, the local druid of Sheela Peryroyal saw a man who met the “herb salesman’s” description enter a cave in the woods.
- Iendelle Greenbottle, Veit Lutger, Nola Treesong, Kep Tringtrack and Pervenel Ielp set out to find the “herb salesman” in the cave.
- Upon entering the cave in the woods, Kep turned against them and the halfling “Chirp” subdued them with a web spell. The adventurers were captured and put in a make-shift cell in the corner of the cave.
- Also inside the cell was a small Beguiler named Skippy Skelopotamus. He claimed to be the former familiar of Dengleworth Birchswitch II a.k.a.- “Chirp”. Skippy (who was chained up in the cell) proceeded to tell the group the story of his master Dengleworth’s fight with HIS master Fuio Skeletar. He told them about an artifact known as the LACUNA CAULDRON. Apparently, both Skippy and Dengleworth were banished from the city of Beluir from Fuio’s wizard tower using a LACUNA CAULDRON. They woke up unconscious in the Lluirwood. After setting up a base in this cave, Dengleworth used 2 sheep to drag an old rusty Cauldron back to base. He then cast various detection magic on it to find that it was a LACUNA CAULDRON and was the reason the two appeared in the Lluirwood, they must have come through the portal the artifact creates. Skippy told Iendelle that he was more interested in the stealthy arts than the arcane. He wised to accompany Iendelle and learn from her if they ever escaped.
- Dengleworth prepared two potions, an elixir, and a grand spell which opened a swirling purple mass in the LACUNA CAULDRON. He told the group he was off to slay his former master and jumped in. As soon as he left the cave the Charm spell he had placed on Kep ceased to function, as well as the lock on the make-shift cell. The group almost decided to leave the cave and report to the mayor when Kep declared “I have sworn an oath to uphold justice and told the mayor I would bring this man back to serve justice upon him! I will follow him with or without you!” He then jumped into the LACUNA CAULDRON along with Perenvel Ielp. The group shrugged and finally leapt inside.
- The group was transported to an alternate reality. At first they thought they were in a different time, but after doing some investigating realized they were in an offshoot of their reality in which the regional history was quite different from their own.
- ((LostLuiren)) In the history of this reality the Ghostwise Halflings joined forces with the Ogres of the Toadsquats and waged war on the halflings in Beluir and the other towns and villages. Most of the Stronghearts were killed until they finally agreed to let the Red Wizards of Thay get involved to help them. In this agreement though the Red Wizards requested a signed treaty to agree that if the battle against the giants and the Ghostwise was won that the Wizards would control half of the financial structure in Beluir and be allowed to migrate into the Luiren region. The halflings refused to agree to these terms. After this the Giants and Ghostwise suddenly gained the help of a strange Purple and Green Dragon named Vekmarius the Vain.
- ((LostLuiren)) Vekmarius began to experiment with mutating magic and created a new race of half dragon, half ogre humanoids with wings that he named “the Vekmar”. With Vekmarius’s help the Ogres, Vekmar, and Ghostwise almost destroyed Beluir. Finally the leader of Beluir signed the agreement with the Red Wizards to request their assistance. The dragon, Vekmar, and giant troops immediately backed off and left Beluir. It was then that the halflings of Beluir realized that they had been duped. The Red Wizards had taken advantage of the situation and had controlled everything that had gone on after Vekmarius had come to help.
- ((LostLuiren)) The halflings mustered all their strength to fight the Red Wizards of Thay, the Vekmar, Ghostwise Halflings, the Ogres, and the Dragon Vekmarius. Their battles were the stuff of legend and they slayed a great many enemies and even managed to slay the leader of the Red Wizards and find out that Vekmarius was the one who was really in control behind the scenes. They failed in their attempt to regain power though and were captured and used as slaves. Now all halflings, even the Ghostwise are slaves. There are a few halflings that are used for other purposes and allowed more freedom, but they are watched very carefully. Halflings living outside Beluir are forced to work hard labor on their own farms. The Red Wizards have started implanting magical tracking devices on some of the halflings in Beluir. If this new creation helps them to catch escapees then they may implement it in all of Lurien.
- By the time the group learned all this history they had found the Lluirwood chopped down, half-ogres, Ogres, and Vekmaar mucking about, and had been thrown into the Crimel slave pits. All the villagers were emaciated and abused, forced to work hard labor on their own farms. Most of the buildings had been burnt down, save the mayors house which was being used as the base for the Ogre and his half-ogre lackeys.
- Soon after the group was tossed in the slave pits, the half-ogres hurled Dengleworth Birchswitch II into the mud and muck.
- The adventurers wore only loincloths, lived in the mud, ate rotten vegetables, and worked the fields for a couple days.
- The group had Skippy Skelopotamus (World renowned Acrobat!) sneak out at night and steal back Iendelle’s potion belt, a halfling cookbook (on accident!), and both Zanderfell Chickenglibber’s and Veit’s spellbooks.
- After speaking with many of the slaves the group added Malric Fodemun, a human cleric of Bane to their posse. They also learned that a Red Wizard named Chepel-Wan had his tower built here in Crimel. He was supposedly the one who tricked the halflings into signing the agreement which destroyed their home. The tower was recently finished and a few halflings who were lucky enough to survive were now here in the slave pits.
- The group questioned the halfling slaves who had worked on the Tower of Chepel-Wan and heard of a grand CAULDRON that was hauled up to the top floor. Golems who were programmed to kill anyone who was not a Red Wizard were stationed all over the tower according to the halfling workers.
- The adventurers contrived a plot once their spellbooks were back in their possession. The plan was to open a dimensional door to escape the slave pits, then another to jump to the tower, and finally one last spell to jump near the top of the tower. If their sources were correct there would be the LACUNA CAULDRON from this reality sitting pretty. Dengleworth Birchswitch II would then cast the same powerful spell he had used previously to transport them back to their reality.
- The group put their plan into action. They opened a glowing blue portal with silver lightning shooting throughout it. The Half-Ogre guards began to sound the alarm and blow deep horns to signal an escape. Once everyone jumped through they found themselves in the darkness just outside town to the north. The began to run towards the tall metallic tower in the distance. The horns could be heard resounded again. Another gate was opened and now they were at the base of the tower. One final spell and they were standing on a landing just one flight of stairs below the top floor. A golem also stood there with them but somehow could not see them. Dengleworth guessed it was because they were from an alternate reality which somehow confused the golems.
- The adventurers arrived at the Red Wizard Chepel-Wan’s magical research room. They found the LACUNA CAULDRON and Dengleworth began to make the preparations for the spell. While waiting Iendelle and Veit decided to help themselves to some scroll, magical rings, and wands. As soon as they started grabbing them there was a funnel of smoke and the huge Red Wizard Chepel-Wan appeared red eyed and ready to kill. He began to attack the party with full force. He instantly disintegrated the human Malric Fodemun ((LostLuiren)) with a wand. With another wand he let loose a blasting flame which he began to burn and melt the flesh of Kep the Marchwarden. Kep was almost dead and backed against the cauldron when Dengleworth finished his spell. Everyone jumped into the cauldron and visualized their home (per Dengleworth’s request).
- The party emerged from the LACUNA CAULDRON in their apparent correct reality. Two strange Goblins were waiting for them and began to attack. Veit cast a sleep spell on them and they both fell fast asleep in the muddy dirt floor. The group frantically began to discuss what to do with Dengleworth. Nola Treesong was posting watch in the form of a Raven outside and came to see what the raised voices were all about. She was greatly relieved to see that everyone was alright. Last she knew, everyone disappeared as she had waited outside the cave when the group initially entered.
NEXT GAMING SESSION:
WHAT WILL THE GROUP DO WITH DENGLEWORTH?
WHAT WILL THE MAYOR SENTENCE AS PUNISHMENT FOR DENGLEWORTH?
WHAT SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE “LACUNA CAULDRON” THAT RESTS ON THE CAVE FLOOR?
SHOULD THE ADVENTURERS EVEN TELL THE MAYOR AND THE VILLAGERS ABOUT THE LACUNA CAULDRON AND IT’S MAGIC?
IS THERE ANY DANGER OF EVENTS REPEATING THEMSELVES IN THIS REALITY, PERHAPS AT A LATER TIME WITH DIFFERENT PLAYERS? IF SO, WHO SHOULD THE GROUP WARN?
SHOULD IENDELLE INFORM THE MAYOR OF THE THEFT OF THE MAGIC WRIST SLEEVES AND SUBSEQUENT LOSS?
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ZANDERFELL CHICKENGLIBBER’S FARMHOUSE AND EQUIPMENT NOW THAT HE HAS PASSED ON AND HAS NO FAMILY?
WHERE WILL THE GROUP GO NEXT? WILL ANYONE FROM THE VILLAGE JOIN THEM?